Yes - A visa is required for travel to China

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

A valid passport and tourist visa are required to visit China.

Send these documents to Travisa


Passport Requirements:

Original, signed passport plus one photocopy of the information page. The passport must be valid for 6 months beyond stay in China, with at least two blank passport pages available for Chinese visa and entry stamps. Amendment pages in the back of the passport are not suitable for China visas.

Houston: If the applicant is requesting the visa to China to be issued on a second passport, the Consulate of China in Houston requires the applicant to submit both the original and second passports. The Consulate will not issue a visa on a second passport unless the original passport is provided.


China Visa Application Form:

One signed visa application form. Every question on the application must be answered, please answer NONE if the question does not apply to you. Applications must be typed in block capital letters; handwritten changes are not accepted. The signature on the application form must match the signature on the applicant's passport.

The Consulate of China requires a visa application be completed according to strict guidelines. Make sure your documentation is accurately prepared by making use of Document Preparation Service. After placing your order, you will receive an Application Kit which includes an optional form where you can provide simple answers. If you choose this service a Specialist will work with you to ensure the required documents are prepared according to government and consular requirements. Once your application form is complete, we will return it to you via a secure and encrypted email for your signature, keeping your personal information safe.

Houston: The visa application must be single-sided.


Photo Requirements:

One color photo that meets the following strict criteria: taken within the last six months, against an all white background, printed on high-quality photo paper, 48 mm tall x 33 mm wide exactly, provide the full frontal view of your head with your face centered in the middle and displaying a neutral (non-smiling) expression, eyes open, ears visible, no background light or shadow over your face, neither eyeglasses nor headwear except for religious purposes, you should not wear any garment identical to the photo background, your photo should not be affixed to your application and it may not display evidence of adhesive tape or staples

OR - you can upload a photo when you place your order, instead of providing physical passport photos.


Letter Of Invitation:

A photocopy of the roundtrip airline ticket and hotel reservation or a cruise ticket may be submitted instead of the official invitation from China.

- OR -

An Invitation Letter for Tourist Group or Invitation Letter for Tourist by a Duly Authorized Tourism Unit, or Invitation Letter issued by companies, corporations, institutions and individuals in China. If the invitation letter is issued by an individual in China, the photocopy of the ID of the individual is required. If the invitation letter is from a Non-Chinese citizen, the ID must be a copy of the valid passport, and a copy of legal status in China is required. If the inviter in China is a relative of the traveler, they must provide legal documentation proving family relationship, such as a birth or marriage certificate.

A letter of invitation must explain the relationship between the host and the applicant and must include detailed information about the applicant, including full name, gender, date of birth, and passport number. The letter must also state the purpose of visit, where the applicant will stay, and the date of arrival and departure from China. The letter must indicate who will be responsible for the cost of the applicant’s accommodations in China and information about the inviting host: name of the unit or individual, phone number, address, and if applicable, seal and signature of the legal representative.


Proof of State Residency:

Houston: A clear photocopy of driver's license or state issued ID. The address must match the address on the Chinese visa application form. If the applicant will be departing for China from a different state than the state of residence, then the applicant must provide a signed letter in addition to the flight itinerary. The letter must explain why the applicant is starting the journey from a different state and how the applicant will be returning to the applicant's home state.


Job Description:

Houston: Brief job and company description; this is in addition to the business letter and invitation. The descriptions do not have to be on a company letterhead.

Government employees: Must submit a job description letter from the applicant's employer with the visa application. For example, if the applicant works for a local fire or police department, then submit a letter from the fire or police department. All letters must display the applicant's full name and be written on official letterhead for the specific department or agency that the applicant is employed with.


Proof of Travel Arrangements:

Computer generated flight or cruise itinerary or copy of airline tickets or cruise ticket showing round trip travel to China or onward flight.

Houston: Your flight information, hotel confirmation, cruise and tour itineraries must show your full name as it appears in your passport. You must provide one of the following:

  • If visiting China via air, a copy of your round trip airline ticket and hotel confirmation(s). or
  • If visiting China via cruise, a copy of your day-by-day cruise itinerary. You must also include hotel confirmation(s) if not staying overnight on the ship. or
  • If on a tour, you must include your tour itinerary, plus a copy of your hotel confirmations and airline tickets. or
  • A copy of an official letter of invitation from a governmental agency or individual sponsor. If you obtain a letter of invitation from an individual sponsor in China, the invitation must include the following:
    (1) Your name, gender, date of birth (2) Purpose of applicant's visit (3) Date of arrival and departure (4) Places to visit, specific names of cities required

Details of your flight itinerary (you must include proof of these travel arrangements along with the letter) State who will bear the cost of the applicant's lodging while in China Information on the sponsor: name of the unit, phone number, address, copy of sponsor's passport or ID Have company or organizations seal/stamp

If your invitation is from a non-governmental sponsor your letter must include your job title/occupation, passport number with issue and expiration date. The relationship of the applicant and sponsor must also be stated.

If the individual inviting you is in China on a work permit then you must provide a copy of the inviter's residence permit.

If you are invited by a family member or friend in China; as long as a letter of invitation and copy of inviters ID or passport is provided, the flight and hotel confirmation are not required.

The invitation may be a copy, fax, or printout but the Consular office may request the original. Please note that each traveler must have their full name, as it appears in their passport, listed one your cruise itinerary, your flight itinerary or hotel confirmation.


Hotel Confirmation:

Houston: An official invitation or a copy of confirmed hotel and/or cruise reservation(s). If staying in various hotels, please provide copies of each reservation.


Applicants Under the Age of 18:

A child (under 18) must be ready to present their birth certificate upon arrival and, unless traveling with both parents or a legal guardian, must also have copies of parents' passports. If passport copies are not available for parent(s) then a parental letter of consent.

Houston: For a minor, (under 18), a copy of their birth certificate and a photocopy of parents’ passports or letter of parental authorization may be requested.


Letter of Employment :

Applicants who are self-employed must include a brief letter addressed to the Chinese Consulate containing the company profile and job description. This is an informal letter and should be included with your visa application.


Residency Status:

Los Angeles: You must provide proof of your current U.S. Immigration status. You must include:

  • Your original U.S. immigration documentation or your actual Green
  • A copy of you U.S. Immigration I-94 printout


Previous Visa:

Houston: Applicants who have previously traveled to China must provide a copy of the previous Chinese visa. If the visa was issued to a previous passport, a photocopy of the canceled passport's information page must also be included. If you had a previous China visa, but no longer have the passport in your possession, you must include a statement letter addressed to the Consulate to explain.


Country of Origin:

Applicants of Chinese origin, (born in China), must include a copy of a previous Chinese visa or their last original Chinese passport. Make sure the Chinese Name field is completed on the Chinese visa application form in Chinese characters.


Former Bangladesh or Pakistan nationals must provide a copy of their Bangladesh/Pakistan ID or Bangladesh/Pakistan passport biodata page.

If you are a former PRC passport holder or were born in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Macau:

  • You must write your name in Chinese characters for question 1.2 on the visa application form
  • You must present copies of any previously issued China visas in your current or expired passport, as well as the expired passport
  • If you have never been issued a China visa, you must submit your original Chinese passport and birth certificate showing your name in Chinese characters
  • If you are a minor who was adopted from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Macau you must also include your original adoption papers and a copy of them as well
  • If applicable, include a copy of your naturalization papers and U.S. birth certificate.
  • The Chinese Consulate may request an additional form for first time visa applicants


Special Instructions:

Travel to Hong Kong or Macau: Visiting Hong Kong or Macau is considered leaving China. The applicant must obtain a multiple entry visa if leaving Mainland China to visit Hong Kong or Macau with the intention to re-enter the mainland before finally departing from China.

Media Professionals: or employees of a media company, even if the applicant is not traveling for business purposes, the applicant must submit a letter from the applicant's employer on company letterhead indicating that you are NOT traveling on company business and will NOT be performing any media related work.

Travelers with Previous Visits to Turkey, Kazakhstan, and Pakistan: Travelers who have visited Turkey in the past must provide a signed copy of an affidavit giving the exact dates and purpose(s) of every trip made to Turkey, Kazakhstan and Pakistan. Dates must match all entry/exit stamps in the traveler's passport and all trips mentioned on the visa application form. A sample of the affidavit is found in the kit.


This May Pertain to You:

San Francisco: The processing time for Turkish passport holders or persons of Turkish origin can be extensive and is determined entirely at the Consulate of China's discretion. Please allow ample processing time to secure the visa.

This is Travisa's service order form, where you will provide your contact and shipping information, choose the visa processing needed and make your payment. You must print the completed form and send it to Travisa with all other supporting documents.

Click here for China Consular Fees and Visa Processing Times

Visa Processing Time:

Houston: Seasonal Processing Delays
Due to seasonal processing delays submit your visa application for China no earlier than 30 days prior to your date of arrival into China. Temporarily, Travisa will not able to process applications for entries more than 30 days in advance.

Register your trip with the US Embassy:

The US State Department strongly encourages American citizens planning international travel to register with the US Embassy(s) in the countries they plan to visit. Registration notifies the US Embassy in each country of your travel plans and enrolls you in the State Department travel advisory and warnings program. Feel more secure about your international travels by having Travisa register your trip with the US Department of State; simply complete the form on your visa application kit after placing your order.

Non-refundable tickets or reservations should not be purchased until all visas and passports are secured and in your possession.

How to Apply for a Visa to China

  • Review the requirements to apply for your visa
  • Gather your documents and complete the forms
  • Ship your documents to our office

Where to Apply for Your Chinese Visa

Residents of these states apply for a visa in Chicago :

Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, and Wisconsin.

Travisa - Chicago
111 East Wacker Drive, Suite 512
Chicago, IL 60601
Tel: 877-876-3266

Residents of these states apply for a visa in Houston :

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas. *Exception: French citizens must apply in person.

Travisa - Houston
2 Greenway Plaza Suite 200
Houston, TX 77046
Tel: 877-876-3266

Residents of these states apply for a visa in Los Angeles :

Arizona, Southern California, Hawaii, New Mexico, and Pacific Islands.

Travisa - Los Angeles
5757 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 570
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Tel: 877-876-3266

Residents of these states apply for a visa in New York :

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Travisa - New York
60 E. 42nd Street, Suite 106-107 Lobby
New York, NY 10165
Tel: 877-876-3266

Residents of these states apply for a visa in San Francisco :

Alaska, Northern California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.

Travisa - San Francisco
555 Montgomery Street, Suite 700
San Francisco, CA 94111
Tel: 877-876-3266

Residents of these states apply for a visa in Washington, DC :

Washington, DC, Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Travisa - Washington, DC
4301 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 250
Washington, DC 20008
Tel: 877-876-3266