What To Do When You
Lose Your U.S. Passport

What Do I Do If I Lost My Passport?

Having your passport lost or stolen before or during an international vacation is a nightmare for travelers, and can be a tricky situation to navigate. Will you be able to get back home? How do you get a replacement passport? Will you have to change your travel plans? These are all important questions to consider. Here’s what you need to know about replacing a missing passport.

Report Your Lost Passport To U.S. Authorities

Reporting your lost or stolen passport to American authorities is the first and most important step in the process of replacing your passport. If the wrong person gets a hold of your passport they can steal your identity or use it to commit a crime. Report the loss or theft using Form DS-64 (Reporting Your Passport Lost or Stolen) on the State Department’s website, and, if your passport was stolen, file a police report with local authorities.

Reporting that your passport has been lost or stolen is critical if you plan on applying for a new one. The passport renewal process requires you present your current passport, so you’ll need to officially document that your existing passport is missing.

Apply For Your Replacement Passport

Whether you’re overseas trying to get back home, or at home getting ready for a trip abroad, you’re going to need to get your passport replaced fast. In either case you’re going to be required to appear in-person either at a passport office, if you are in the United States; or at a U.S. embassy/consulate, if you’re abroad.

Depending on where you are when you realize your passport is missing, the steps you’ll need to take will be different. If you’re in the U.S. you can go to your nearest passport office. If you’re overseas, you’ll need to bring a separate form of government issued identification, like a drivers license, to prove your identity to an embassy or consulate. You’ll also need to fill out form DS-11 (Application for a US Passport), and provide recently-taken passport photos.

Replacing your passport isn’t free, you will have to pay to get a replacement. Regular passport fees apply, and expedited service is available, for an additional fee. All-in-all you can expect to pay somewhere around $130 for your replacement passport.

Hunker Down Until Your New Passport Arrives

Unfortunately, whether you’re at home or abroad, you won’t be going anywhere until your replacement passport arrives. This could potentially complicate your travel plans, or cost you extra money in hotel and meal fees, but that’s the reality of the situation.

If you have a history of losing your passport, the State Department may issue you an emergency passport, which is typically valid only for a limited period of time. The purpose of an emergency passport is to get you back to the United States so you can go through the process of getting a regular replacement passport.

More than likely, you’ll be waiting eight to eleven weeks to receive your replacement passport. Even expedited service can take between five to seven weeks, and costs more than the standard passport application fee.

CIBTvisas understands a missing passport is a stressful situation whether you’re preparing to travel internationally, or you’re trying to get back home from overseas. Just know, we’re here to help. Our team of experienced immigration advisors can help you get a replacement passport in as little as one day. Call 877-304-8071 to get started.

Stay Up To Date

Stay up to date on the latest travel news from the experts at CIBTvisas.

First Name: 
Last Name: 
Job Title: